So, you figured out how to buy crypto on Coinbase, now you’re ready to withdraw the crypto you bought and transfer it from Coinbase to an exchange or even a cold-storage hardware wallet.
Choose your platform to get started.
Transfer from Coinbase via Website
Also know as “sending” or “withdrawing,” transferring crypto from the Coinbase website works about the same way as any other platform. Here’s how:
Log in to your Coinbase account and click the “Accounts” link next to “Buy/Sell” in the main navigation.
It should look something like this:
The “Accounts” interface on the Coinbase website as of January 4, 2017. // Image via coinbase.com
- Select the coin you want to sell by choosing the appropriate wallet. We’ll be using BTC for this example, but the same instructions apply to all.
Click the “Send” button under selected currency and you’ll see this “Send” window appear:
The “Send BTC” interface on the Coinbase website as of January 4, 2017. // Image via coinbase.com
Choose the “Wallet” or “Email” tab depending on if how you’re sending. Typically you’ll be sending to a cryptocurrency wallet address, though you can use the “Email Address” tab to send to another Coinbase user.
- Learn about the term “Address” and more in our cryptocurrency glossary.
Enter in the BTC or email address to which you are sending in the “Recipient” field.
Pro Tip: When using a wallet address ALWAYS check at least the first and last 4-6 characters before you commit to sending.
- Next, confirm that you have the desired wallet selected in the ‘Withdraw From’ field.
- Then, enter the amount you’d of crypto you’d like to transfer from Coinbase using your choice of the cryptocurrecy value or the value in your local currency.
- Click the “Continue” button to bring up the confirmation screen, which looks like this:
The “Send Confirmation” interface on the Coinbase website as of January 4, 2017. // Image via coinbase.com
- Review your withdrawl information and enter the two-step verification code from your mobile device.
If everything looks good click the “Confirm” button to initiate the transfer.
Note: Depending on what currency you are transferring, and how much, it could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days or longer to transfer.
Okay now, you should be an expert at sending crypto from the Coinbase website.
Transfer from Coinbase via App
If you’re looking to send crypto from Coinbase to another wallet or Coinbase user while you’re on-the-go, the Coinbase app has got you covered. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Coinbase app and log in.
Next, tap the “Accounts” button in the navigation bar on the bottom to see a list of your accounts:
The main Accounts screen on the Coinbase app as of January 6, 2017. // Image via Coinbase iOS app
Select the account or “wallet” holding the cryptocurrency you’d like to sell. This example is for Bitcoin but it’s the same for all of them:
A Bitcoin account / wallet on the Coinbase app as of January 7, 2017. (Portions redacted) // Image via Coinbase iOS app
Tap the “Airplane” icon that’s in the top right of the screen to bring up this send amount selector:
The send amount interface on the Coinbase app as of January 7, 2017. (Portions redacted) // Image via Coinbase iOS app
Enter the amount you wish to send, or go big with the “Use Max” button.
Click “Send” at the bottom of the screen.
Finally enter an approriate wallet address, or the email address of another Coinbase user you want to send to. You can also scan a QR code with the little QR icon.
Reminder: ALWAYS check at least the first and last 4-6 characters before you send when using a wallet address.
- Confirm the recipient address and click “Send” in the top right to kick off the transaction.
Now you know how to send cryptocurrency from the Coinbase mobile app.
- Learn about the term “Wallet” and more in our cryptocurrency glossary.
On the web or via the app it’s easy to make a withdrawal and transfer coins away from Coinbase. And if you’re looking to go the other direction, here’s a guide to transferring crypto into Coinbase.